How To: An Em-Pee Three New User Guide

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    freeza inc. Forum Index -> Guildelines & Info
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FI Staff

Style: subSilver (5838)
In Bank: 809 Rupees
Loaned: 0 Rupees
Jobs: Poster
Credit: 1587 Rupees

View Items

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: How To: An Em-Pee Three New User Guide Reply with quote

Introduction
After reviewing a lot of the topics posted in the Em-Pee Three Player thread Ive noticed that people, especially new users, are the ones having the most questions when it comes to the functionality of the Em-Pee Three Player. This guide will target the most necessary or commonly used commands to get you going with using this program without asking too many questions.

Consider this service: all of the information Im going to provide can be found in the command list and simple playing around with the functions but people are too lazy, demanding, and impatient to do anything about it. Now that, is a bad combination.

What is Em-Pee-Three Player?
Lets start with the simplest question. Em-Pee Three (EP3) is a program (ccom) designed to work with AOL and it enables you to control it by sending text commands in a chatroom. This guide will target mainly the AOL users who are trying to utilize this program while chatting in a chatroom. Its main functionality? Its a media player.

Where can I find it?
Its simple enough, you can find EP3 in the Downloads thread.
* Please remember to download the correct version that corresponds to your version of AOL and Windows.

I installed it, now what do I do?
Great, if you found it and youve installed it, youre already ahead of the game. Make sure that youre signed on and in a chatroom before you begin using EP3.

Step 1, Loading EP3
========================================[list]The first thing you should do is load EP3. The default directory is C:\\Program Files\\em-pee three player and you should see the shortcut either on your desktop or in your start menu.

* Depending on your version of AOL and EP3, If you get the error Unable to determine Screen Name, please type one below, do not panic. All it is asking you to do is put in the screen name that you are currently signed onto so it can properly recognize you as the user. Simply put in your screen name (***please be case and space sensitive!, this means make sure to put the necessary spaces and capital letters corresponding to your screen name to avoid problems)

If you have successfully loaded EP3, you should see the following:
    1. In your chatroom:

2. On your screen:

3. And most importantly, NO errors

Step 2, Testing to see if EP3 works
========================================
    You want to test if ep3 is properly receiving commands from AOL. To do so type trig? (This is a universal trigger and it will work regardless of what trigger you set in the future). If this command worked correctly you will see the following in the chatroom:

What is a trigger?
    A trigger is the first symbol that goes before all your commands (by default your trigger is the symbol (the apostrophe). For instance, if you want to exit EP3 and your trigger is set to you would have to type exit.

If you would like to change your trigger type the command trig X, replacing the X with the symbol youd like (some people prefer to use the period . ) Please make sure it is a valid symbol, if the trigger is invalid you will get the error “that trigger is retarded, choose another” (For new user purposes I will be using the default trigger, the apostrophe)

To get rid of a trigger type the command trig none, this will disable the trigger and you can simply put in commands without a trigger in front of every command.

* And remember, if you ever forget your trigger type the command trig?, EXACTLY as you see it (it is a universal command for anyone with any trigger to find out what their trigger is)[quote=“Example of how a trigger would work”]Make believe your default trigger is the apostrophe... This is what you would type to change your trigger from the apostrophe to a period and exit ep3:

trig .
    .exit[/quote]From this point, if you have set a different trigger please type in commands corresponding to your trigger.

Great, now were getting somewhere...
Step 3A, Select the types of files EP3 should play
    This is the biggest feature and greatest in demand when it comes to AOL programs: the ability to play music in chatrooms. But how do you actually add music to this program? Im here to tell you.

Now that you have EP3 loaded and commands are working properly, you just have to use the correct command to utilize this feature. The first thing you want to do is decide whether or not you want strictly MP3 files or WMA, WAV, MIDI, MP3, or all files. I believe that EP3, by default, filters only MP3 files (but I stand to be corrected). To check this type the command filter? You should see the following in the chatroom:

If you have any other types of files you would like to play, add them in by using the filter * command. Here is a list of replacements for the *:
      mp3
      wma
      wav
      midi
      mp3, wma
      all
    Those are the only filters you can select. For example purposes I will filter EP3 to play all files. Type filter all in the chatroom, you should see the following:
Step 3B, Select the directory where your music is
    Now what you need to do is direct EP3 to where your music is located. The simplest way to do this is to type the command scanpc, this command will scan your entire computer for any music files.
    * The only problem with this is if your filter is set to all it will pick up default sounds from programs (like the “YOUVE GOT MAIL” from AOL). If your filter is set to mp3 only I would recommend it but otherwise you should be more specific when telling EP3 where you music is located.

Once you have figured out where you music is located, type the command scan *, replacing the * with the full directory of where your music is located. For example, my music is located in E:\\My Music\\Melodic so I will type the command scan E:\\My Music\\Melodic. Once you have done that you will see the following:

There is another command that works simlarly, which is dir E:\\My Music\\Melodic. Now the difference between scan and dir is that scan will scan all the folders within that folder given (if you notice, I have 135 folders within E:\\My Music\\Melodic. Now if I were to use the dir command, it would only scan the folder E:\\My Music\\Melodic and not the folders within that location. Heres an example or how the dir command works:

* Note, everytime you scan or add a directory it will pile up into a temporary playlist so feel free to add as many directories as youd like before continuing.
3C, Transfer your files over to EP3
    Now once youve added all the directories and files you want you now have to transfer those files into the actual playlist. To do this use the command transfer. Once you do this you will see the following:
      1. In your chatroom:

2. On EP3 itself:

Lastly what you need to do is save your playlist so your music loads properly the next time you load EP3. To save your playlist type save *, replacing * with what you want to name your playlist. For default purposes, I will save my playlist as music. You should see the following:

Step 4, Play music!
    Now that youve done this music, youre finally ready to play your music :)

The play command is as follows: play *, replacing * with the name of the filename. Lets use the song ATB - Underwater World.mp3 for example (visit ATBs site at www.atb-music.com).

Heres an example of me using the play command by typing the whole filename/song:

Now heres an example of me only using part of the filename/song:

If you notice, in all 2 instances it played the same song. As long as the string * is found within the filename/song it will play (atb - underwater - world)

Something that may happen is if you type in a string and it finds multiple matches:

If youd like to see all the matches in the chatroom, type the command yes and youll see the following:

To select a song type m #, # corresponding to the number of the choice. Or type cancel to cancel the song selection.

If there are too many choices to scroll in the chatroom type the command view and you will get a dialog that will list all the matches EP3 found:

If you decide you dont want to hear any of the songs or if youve made a mistake simply type no and it will cancel the song selection.
And thats the bear minimum you need to know to use EP3. Below is a list of other commands you may find useful or find necessary in order to run EP3.

Other commands to control the music on EP3
* Please keep in mind that the is the default trigger, replace it with your trigger[/color]
    stop - Stop will stop the song
    pause - Will pause your song
    resume - Will resume your song
    volume # - By replacing the # with a number from 0-100 you can adjust the volume of the song
    rw # - Rewind the song # seconds.
    fwd # - Fast forwards the song # seconds.
    tempo # - Set the tempo (speed) of the song, replacing # with 1-100.
    rnd - Will play a random song
    rnd * - Works JUST like the play command except it will play a random selection of * instead of giving you the option of giving you choices to choose from.
    repeat - Repeat will repeat your current song over and over again
    repeatoff - Turns repeat off
    cont - Turns continous play on (will play one song after another on the playlist)
    contoff - Turns off continous play

info - Sends information about the song you are playing
    times - Tells you how many times you played the song
    delete - Deletes the current song
    rename * - Rename the current song with * being the new name of it.

ref - Refreshes all the directories (useful if youre using EP3 and you download a new song)
    count * - Counts the # of songs for matches of * (Works just like the rnd or play commands)

Final thoughts
This has been your official tour of EP3. For a full list of commands please type coms and scroll through them. Please test the other commands out before asking questions, the only reason I made this guide was for the people too lazy to read the commands for EP3.

I did you a favor, now do us ALL (the administrators) a favor back. From this moment forward any questions asked that is already answered in this guide will be linked to this guide and locked from further replies. It is your job to read, not my job to tell you everything.

I hope this guide has been useful, I tried to make it as in depth as possible (and I know I have done more than scratch the surface). Enjoy using EP3 and maybe Ill see you again in another guide.

Regards,
Jonathan
[ IP : Logged ]
ember
Ultra Super Saiyan
Ultra Super Saiyan

Style: RoyaleXP (6467)
In Bank: 0 Rupees
Jobs: Unemployed
Credit: 1179 Rupees

View Items

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

acknowledged Razz
Dmx10pc84

Credit: 2 Rupees

View Items

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

why the emp3s not able to work no more is there new versions i want one
oh_girlie_please

Credit: 8 Rupees

View Items

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

this might sound really stupid... but i used the the commend "ac black" to change the color font, and then i wanted the non bold words, to be pink.. but somehow, i didn't do it right? and i would like it to be blue, as it was.
help pleae?
ty
i pwn at terminal

In Bank: 100 Rupees
Jobs: Avid Poster, Valued Member
Credit: 396748 Rupees

View Items

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Now I'm not entirely sure about this but, I think when you type the ac black, it should be something like "ac F000000"
use the hex number, not type it in?

and there should be a menu you can use to change all that stuff, or just change it in the file that come with ep3.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bamf
BADASS!
f.i. Super Moderator

In Bank: 3763294 Rupees
Jobs: Moderator, Avid Poster, Top Poster
Credit: 99396 Rupees

View Items

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

hex code, not word.

ie: black should be 000000

"I just wanna live!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ty
i pwn at terminal

In Bank: 100 Rupees
Jobs: Avid Poster, Valued Member
Credit: 396748 Rupees

View Items

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

deanza wrote:
hex code, not word.

ie: black should be 000000

i didnt say hex word, i said hex number, and black is many diffrent ones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bamf
BADASS!
f.i. Super Moderator

In Bank: 3763294 Rupees
Jobs: Moderator, Avid Poster, Top Poster
Credit: 99396 Rupees

View Items

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

i didnt mean you..

and if it is on aol and used in ep3, it isn't many of anything, just one.
hex codes contain any letter from a - f, and any # from 0 - 9. so.. if you want your ascii color black, it will be ac 000000

"I just wanna live!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Karla
Ultra Super Saiyan 2
Ultra Super Saiyan 2

In Bank: Hidden
Loaned: Hidden
Jobs: Admin
Credit: 2626 Rupees

View Items

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

ok maybe ill get more help if I post this in here.....after I play one song with the ep3 it shuts down when i try and play another one. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it still does it. What do I do? Its never done this to me the whole time I have used it.
desirethsthkness

Credit: 2 Rupees

View Items

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

i dont understand i have to get a rating now just to download? i havent use this in years but whats wrong?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LA
3-9-2007
Super Saiyan Admin

Jobs: WhatPulse Team, Admin, Avid Poster, Top Poster
Credit: 22667311 Rupees

View Items

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

You just have to be signed in to download ep3.

www.laurface.com
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    freeza inc. Forum Index -> Guildelines & Info All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Tell a friend about f.i.

Jump to: