Smart people more likely to become drunks?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    freeza inc. Forum Index -> Debate room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
di
mreow. :]

Style: RoyaleXP (6467)
In Bank: 0 Rupees
Loaned: 0 Rupees
Jobs: Poster
Credit: 6067 Rupees

View Items

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Smart people more likely to become drunks? Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Higher IQ scores at age 10 may be associated with alcohol-related problems in adulthood.

Public health experts from the University of Glasgow were able to obtain the childhood mental ability scores of over 8,000 men and women in their 30s, and found -- much to their surprise -- the higher IQ, the higher the likelihood of developing a drinking problem. The correlation existed even after factoring out socioeconomic status, and was stronger in women than it was in men.

The researchers declared the results were "unexpected" and feel the need for "further examination."

thoughts? Laughing
[ IP : Logged ]
candi gurl
Super Saiyan 3
Super Saiyan 3

In Bank: Hidden
Loaned: Hidden
Credit: 221 Rupees

View Items

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

that's interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Laura
*F.I. PRiNCESS*
f.i. Super Moderator

In Bank: 3953039 Rupees
Jobs: Avid Poster, Moderator, Top Poster
Credit: 26052 Rupees

View Items

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

well, in a twisted sort of way, i could see how that might make sense.
usually people with drinking problems don't just drink for the hell of it.. there is typically some sort of catalyst causing them to develop this problem.
people with higher iq scores are more likely to realize problems within their own lives and/or just world problems in general. the "too smart for your own good" theory may apply here. their raw realizations about life, the world and people may cause them to start drinking.. and potentially develop some sort of drinking problem.
as for girls being more apt to develop a drinking problem than boys.. it may be credited to the typical idea that females are generally more emotional, therefore, may feel more overwhelmed than a male by some of these problems, and again, may be more prone to start drinking in search of an outlet.
idk. obviously this isn't applicable in all cases since each individual is so different, but this may have an effect on the overall statistics.
& that's just my little theory!

they say "her life is over."
little do they know, it's just beginning.
jimison
Super Saiyan

Jobs: Unemployed
Credit: 3093 Rupees

View Items

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

bahahahaha

I supposedly have an IQ of 142 but I think that stupid test only measures how well you know that test. It isn't very logical at all.
di

View Items

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Laura wrote:
well, in a twisted sort of way, i could see how that might make sense.
usually people with drinking problems don't just drink for the hell of it.. there is typically some sort of catalyst causing them to develop this problem.
people with higher iq scores are more likely to realize problems within their own lives and/or just world problems in general. the "too smart for your own good" theory may apply here. their raw realizations about life, the world and people may cause them to start drinking.. and potentially develop some sort of drinking problem.
as for girls being more apt to develop a drinking problem than boys.. it may be credited to the typical idea that females are generally more emotional, therefore, may feel more overwhelmed than a male by some of these problems, and again, may be more prone to start drinking in search of an outlet.
idk. obviously this isn't applicable in all cases since each individual is so different, but this may have an effect on the overall statistics.
& that's just my little theory!

couldn't have said it better myself Wink
that's pretty much exactly what i was gona say
ty
i pwn at terminal

In Bank: 100 Rupees
Jobs: Avid Poster, Valued Member
Credit: 396748 Rupees

View Items

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

im an avid drinker. when i drink. it all goes down.

idc

di

View Items

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

except i think there's a fine line between someone that likes to drink a lot and an alcoholic...
ty
i pwn at terminal

In Bank: 100 Rupees
Jobs: Avid Poster, Valued Member
Credit: 396748 Rupees

View Items

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

oh well.
bamf
BADASS!
f.i. Super Moderator

In Bank: 3763294 Rupees
Jobs: Moderator, Avid Poster, Top Poster
Credit: 99396 Rupees

View Items

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

that sucks

"I just wanna live!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Unemployed Mexican
Super Saiyan

Credit: 153 Rupees

View Items

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

makes alot of sense to me. there were countless geniuses or just really smart people that used to wet their whistle at the end of a long day. solving life's complex issues really does make a person want to be really, really drunk.
julie
Super Saiyan

Credit: 268 Rupees

View Items

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I kinda believe this saying.. "drinks speak the sober heart" right? or no?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    freeza inc. Forum Index -> Debate room All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Tell a friend about f.i.

Jump to: